Toronto Friends Meeting invites applications for a position as an On-duty Friend, to assist with the upkeep, use, and well functioning of Friends House. Friends House, located in the heart of Toronto’s Annex neighbourhood, is the Meeting House of Toronto Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) and serves as the centre for worship and work. Friends House also provides meeting space for outside designated organizations, limited temporary housing for Friends on Quaker business, and guests recommended by Friends. Friends House is staffed between 8.30 a.m. and 10.30 p.m. daily except on statuary and designated holidays.
The On-Duty Friend, working under the supervision of the Resident Friend-Manager:
- Greets guests and answer inquiries about Friends and Friends ways in person, by email or phone in a professional and friendly manner.
- Completes assigned tasks for the daily well running of the House and grounds, including some maintenance work.
- Provides written and oral reports to the Resident Friend–Manager as required, and consults with Personnel Committee of Toronto Monthly Meeting if a concern arises.
- Works with assigned staff such as the Resident Friend-Manager, Associate Resident Friend, cleaners and volunteers on the upkeep of the house and grounds.
- This position averages 12 hours per week, covering shifts on Saturdays and Sundays (possibly every other week) with some additional hours as needed. Rate of pay is currently $18.07 / hour.
- a high school diploma or equivalent educational experience
- knowledge and respect for Friends and Friends ways, computer skills including word processing, Excel, and e-mail
- a calm professional demeanor, and capacity to be flexible and responsive, working with a diverse population in a mixed use facility.
- Some general maintenance skills an asset. Physical capacity to work with cleaning products in dusty areas, walk up and down stairs frequently, and to do occasional outdoor work such as shoveling snow off walkways.
- First Aid, Health and Safety, WHMIS and AODA training are required and can be acquired on the job. Hiring is conditional upon provision of a vulnerable sector police check.
Position begins Sept. 1st or mutually agreed upon start date.
Please submit resume and covering letter by August 21, 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org, attention, Personnel Committee, TMM.